You're home with your new baby, congratulations to you and your family. Once you have settled into your new roles as parents, you may expect the following questions to be asked about sleep.
- Is the baby sleeping?
- How well do they nap during the day?
- Are they sleeping through the night?
- Are you getting any sleep?
If you're a new parent, sleep, or lack thereof is the number one conversation starter. While, unfortunately, it's not possible to request a baby who sleeps through the night, nor can we guarantee your angel will sleep for 12 hours straight. We can help you invest in some essential sleepwear and accessories, that will keep baby comfortable, cosy and content.
Cocoon Swaddle Bag
Our Cocoon Swaddle Bags have been designed to make your life and babies a lot smoother, gone are the days where you have to wrap your child in a complicated muslin wrap, with half an eye open at 3am. The Cocoon Swaddle Bag has been designed to contain startle reflux while keeping baby snug, secure, comforted and warm. Best for newborns who are being swaddled and arms out (rollers) to age 12 months. Follow these guidelines to ensure safe sleep.
- Make sure the Cocoon Swaddle is not too tight; it should allow for easy breathing. Swaddles should allow for full and uninhibited chest expansion. Those little ribs are still very soft and bendy. An overly enthusiastic wrap has the potential to be too firm across the chest. The stretch throughout the body allows for a little bit of movement around the shoulders, enabling healthy development.
- Are their little legs folded out like a frog? The hips need to be able to flop outwards while the baby sleeps. There is evidence that late-onset developmental dysplasia of the hip (DDH) is increasing in Australia. DDH is when the hip is either dislocated or prone to dislocation. Tight swaddles and wraps across the hips that hold the legs together are thought to contribute to this increase in DDH.
- Is baby hot? Babies don't regulate their body heat very well and rely on their coverings to keep them warm but not hot. There is a delicate balance, so if you choose to Cocoon Swaddle be sure not to overdress your baby. You can always follow our handy 'What to wear guide'.
- Is there anything on baby's face? Never cover a baby's head at sleep time, for example, with a hat or beanie, as they been associated with overheating.
- Place their little arms over their chest and zip up the Cocoon Swaddle. As a bonus, each of our Cocoon Swaddles Bags are 2-in-1, meaning they convert from a swaddle to a sleeping bag by opening the poppers in the armholes once your baby can roll onto their tummy.
Some babies may have difficulty sleeping in a room that has light in it, whether during day time naps, or early morning light creeping in the curtains. Our NEW and improved Window Blockout is the perfect answer for babies and toddlers who need total darkness in their room to dream away. The Window Blockout is white on both sides to seamlessly blend in with your child's space. The room side will block out the light, and the outward-facing side will reflect light away from your windows, which can help regulate the room's temperature for a more comfortable sleep.
- Non-toxic, static-cling sheets that leave zero residue
- Can be reused multiple times
- Blocks 100% of sunlight
- White on both sides with an internal opaque black layer
- Easy to cut to size, apply and clean
- Ideal for travel can be rolled up for transport
- Suitable for single or double-glazed windows
Blocking out the light during naps can help to:
- Remove visual distraction
From 6 weeks old, your baby will become more social and begin to find shapes and movement interesting. For perceptive and alert children, sleeping in a room with lots of things to look at may deter them from sleeping. Blocking out light can remove these visual distractions.
- Promote melatonin
The wonderful sleep-regulating hormone melatonin is suppressed by light. Research has shown young 'children's eyes let more light in, and are more sensitive to light exposure than adults. Bright lights present around sleep times can be detrimental to helping your child's body develop a melatonin-secretion rhythm, i.e. a 'body clock'.
Regulate a 'body clock'
A 'body clock' is important in giving the body signals for when it is time to sleep. For babies who have come out of a constantly-dark womb, research shows we can help them develop their body clock by exposing them to light and dark environments at the appropriate awake/sleep intervals.
Foldable Carry Bed
The first few months with a newborn can feel like the quickest, longest time in your life. You'll want to soak in every second of your precious newborn, and that includes blissfully watching them day sleep (we've all been there). Why not treat yourself to a cuppa and a biscuit in the lounge (Robe necessary) and relish in watching your baby snooze the day away in the lightweight, compact and breathable lounger, the ultimate comfort for your baby.
We recommended the Foldable Carry Bed to be used from birth to no more than six months old. It is suitable for supervised napping and lounging.
*Designed for lounging and supervised napping, due to its lightweight (2.6kg) and ease (folds in half for easy transport and storage). Zips closed for easy portability. Suitable for babies up to 6 months old. Never leave your baby to sleep unattended in the Foldable Carry Bed. Suitable from Newborn - 9kg.
Layers are an essential staple in any newborns sleep-drobe. Think of them as your little white t-shirt; you need plenty and plenty isn't enough. Our cute as a button Layers are designed for sleep and day. Each ergoPouch Layer is TOG rated taking the guesswork out of sleep. Created to be worn on their own, or underneath our famous Cocoon Swaddle Bags, award-winning Sleep Suit Bags or Sleeping Bag.
The season and room temperature are going to dictate what Layers to dress your baby in for sleep. When the colder months come around, it's sufficient to put your baby in a Long Sleeve 1.0 TOG style and place a 2.5 TOG Cocoon Swaddle Bag on top. This will ensure your baby comfortable and won't overheat. Did you know when you use our Layers and Cocoon Swaddle Bags you don't need to use any blankets? To confirm that your baby isn't too hot, make sure they are not sweating or have a flushed face. If so, remove a layer. Don't worry if your baby's hands or feet feel cool, this is normal. Baby's chest should feel warm. Don't over complicate layers and blankets during winter.
During summer, we recommend a lightweight 0.2 TOG Short Sleeve Layer under a 0.2 TOG Cocoon Swaddle Bag. However, if your newborn wants to feel extra snug, you can settle your baby in a 0.2 TOG Long Sleeve Layer. Each Layer is made from a beautifully soft, organic jersey fabric, making them breathable and comfortable.
Babies control their temperature mainly through their head. The best way to stop them overheating is to place them on their back with the head and face uncovered. You can always follow our 'What To Wear Guide' for more guidance and insight. The team at ergoPouch recommends Layers not just for newborns but up to 2 years old.
Say hello to our delicious Bodywear collection, a range of gorgeously soft, ribbed and organic cotton bodysuits and singlets. Designed to be worn underneath your child’s favourite eP Pouch or Layers for warmth, or daytime adventures too! Also, like Layers, you need a few of these classic everyday staples.
Following our What To Wear Guide, the Long Sleeved, Short Sleeve Bodysuits and Singlets are suitable to wear under any of our Swaddles, Sleeping Bags, Sleep Suit Bags, Sleep Onesie or Layers as needed. Available in 3 beautiful colours, order a few more for easy outfits on lazy Sundays or a spare change of clothes in your nappy bag on day trips. A classic for day-wear and styled as you please.
The Butterfly Cardi
The Butterfly Cardi is a sleep tool to help swaddled babies become unswaddled, when they show signs of rolling, by gradually releasing their arms from the swaddle. When your swaddled baby begins to show signs of rolling, it is time to transition them to arms-out sleeping for their safety. The Butterfly Cardi is designed to be a transition aid worn over your baby’s swaddle or sleeping bag, to help them transition to arms-out with minimal sleep interruptions and maximum sleep comfort.
Suitable for little ones who are ready to transition out of swaddling into arms out sleeping, ages 2-6 months. Not to be used as an alternative for swaddling.
A Matchy Matchy Robe
For you, mama! You've done some hard work growing and birthing a baby (understatement), treat yourself to a little bit of luxury. A gorgeous and luxuriously soft bamboo viscose robe in 220gsm with added pockets for mum-things, and in matching prints to your boo. Ideal for the hospital bag (matchy newborn photo opp anyone?) and lounging at home, you won't want to take this off (and we won't judge you if you don't). One size only. Be comfortable in pregnancy, delivery, breast-or-bottle-feeding and beyond.
eP Suggested Essentials
- A white noise machine;
- Music player;
- Night light;
- Bedtime story;
- A relaxing bath;
- Essential oil machines; and
- Time out for you, Mama.
For example, a quick walk, a shower, chat to a girlfriend, read a book, have a hot cup of tea, take some time to check in with you.
You're doing fantastic, we see you, you've got this.
If you need any further advice, please reach out to our customer service on 1300 668 929 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
With love on your sleep journey,