Baby Sleepwear: What to pack in your hospital bag.
Congratulations on your pregnancy, what an exciting adventure you are about to embark on! As you get closer to your due date, you’re possibly pondering (fretting) over what to pack in your hospital bag as all new mums do!
Our knowledgeable team at ergoPouch have banded together, to suggest a few baby and mum sleep and loungewear must-haves to get you through the first precious days of parenthood.
Before you race out and buy a brand-new suitcase and stock it with goodies (yes, we all do it), check with your hospital on what they provide. Each hospital should have a suggested list of what to pack, ensure you ask for this list along with any questions you may have. Hospitals are there to support you, make sure you lean on them.
On to the fun part, what to pack for babies first outfit, baby sleepwear and mama’s comfort, as suggested by the ergoPouch team.
1. Babies first outfits
Your baby’s first outfits during your hospital stay should be soft, cosy and comfortable easy to put on and take off, and accessible for nappy changes. As a newborn baby cannot regulate their body temperature, it’s important to dress them appropriately to keep them warm, but not too hot.
Our TOG-rated Layers are the perfect wardrobe for your freshly-arrived treasure, day and night. Designed to be worn on their own or underneath an ergoPouch swaddle, sleeping bag or sleepsuit bag, our Layers are made from the softest, gentlest organic jersey cotton and bamboo. These natural fibres are breathable, lightweight, skin-friendly and promote safe and comfortable sleep for your baby.
Our Layers feature a 3-way zip for easy nappy changes any time of day. The 0.2TOG Long Sleeve Layer is a great choice for hospital temperatures, to keep them warm without overheating. You may want to pack a few light, cotton singlets to wear underneath also. We recommend packing six Layers for a 5-day hospital stay.
Check out our range of Layers to get started. Our favourites include:
For a Girl
For a Boy
For a Surprise, or a Neutral Look
2. You’re going to need more Layers once you get home!
Additional layers are an essential item in those first few weeks – you may be surprised at how often a tiny little baby can soil their clothing! As a baby sleeps around 16 hours a day, you’ll find you don’t need to dress them in their day clothes vs night clothes – a comfortable onesie that is easily put on and removed is all you need.
Depending on the time of year your baby is born and home temperatures choose from a Long Sleeve Layer in 0.2TOG or 1.0TOG, or a Short Sleeve Layer in 0.2TOG.
Our handy What to Wear Guide will help you choose the best style and TOG rating for your home.
In addition to the 6 Layers taken to the hospital, we recommend another 2-3 Layers in size 0-3months to have on hand at home.
3. Swaddling – the Cocoon Alternative
Chances are you’ve heard about Swaddling a baby for sleeping, either at your antenatal classes, from a friend or family member, or you’ve seen adorable burrito-like babies wrapped up snugly all over your Instagram. Swaddling a baby helps to control their startle reflex (which can wake them) and imitate the closeness of the womb to help them feel secure. But not all swaddling techniques or products are created equal, and HOW you swaddle to promote healthy growth and development is just as important as keeping those arms secure for a long sleep!
Whilst swaddling (or ‘wrapping’) for sleep with a muslin cloth is common, ergoPouch’s innovative Cocoon Swaddle Bag is an alternative you may not know about and a firm favourite with mums around the world.
Our Cocoon Swaddle Bag has a zip, for fail-safe swaddling without the complicated origami. Key features of the Cocoon Swaddle Bag include:
- 2-way zipper – getting your baby in and out of this swaddle is so easy and nappy changes are a breeze. It is also difficult to wriggle out from, creating longer sleep (hooray!).
- TOG rated – 1.0 TOG is designed for hospitals, and year-round comfort when temperatures in your child’s room are between 21C° - 24C° (68-75F). With a TOG rated swaddle, you don’t need any additional blankets.
- Friendly for Hips – the Cocoon Swaddle Bag is approved by the International Hip Dysplasia Institute. It has a bell-shaped bottom so that the hips + legs can flop outwards during sleep making it officially hip friendly.
- Friendly for Shoulders – The Cocoon promotes an arms-down or arms-crossed sleep position. Whilst containing their startle reflex, the Cocoon also allows natural arm movement for self-soothing and healthy shoulder development.
- Super Stretchy – there is a stretch in all directions which allows for growth spurts, full chest expansion and a very comfortable swaddle for your baby to sleep in.
- 2 IN 1 – converts from a swaddle to a sleeping bag by opening the poppers in the armholes once your baby is showing signs of rolling.
- Organic Cotton + Bamboo – this fabric is beautifully soft and skin friendly as it promotes breathability and prevents those sweaty feels.
We recommend packing two-three 1.0TOG Cocoon Swaddles in your hospital bag in size newborn or 0-3 months. Our favourites include;
For a Girl
For a Boy
For a Surprise, or a Neutral Look
Depending on the time of year your baby is born and home temperatures, you may want to get another 0-3 months Cocoon Swaddle Bag for home. Our handy What to Wear Guide will help you choose the best style and TOG rating for your home temperature.
When your baby is beginning to show signs of rolling, it’s important to transition to arms-out sleeping.
4. Save money with the ultimate newborn pack in our new small newborn 0000 sizes.
Created from super soft and breathable bamboo and organic cotton fabric, this combination pack contains both a newborn Swaddle Bag and Layer, to keep your newborn snug and warm during your hospital stay.
The pack includes one 1.0 TOG Cocoon Swaddle Bag and one 0.2 TOG Long Sleeve Layer to be worn underneath the swaddle. When worn together for naps, they create the perfect warmness for hospital room temperatures. You save 10% on the RRP, plus, you get a free Nappy Wallet!
5. Something for YOU, Mama.
You’ve gone through pregnancy, labour and bought life into this world – you DESERVE to feel your most comfortable during this new period! Our luxurious Matchy Matchy Robe pairs back with our Newborn Hospital Pack prints. Made from a delicate, light bamboo fabric you will feel silky soft, extra comfortable, and covered when visitors come to meet your new babe.
The Matchy-Matchy Robe provides discreet access for breastfeeding and comfort for those long feeding sessions, whether you decide to breastfeed or formula-feed.
With adjustable ties and two deep pockets for your phone, the baby’s dummy, spit-up cloths and more, the Robe is as functional as it is gorgeous.
Parenthood is the most magical time of your life. We are here to support your sleeping journey and encourage you to ask questions along the way. Please get in touch if you have any questions about the above range of products, and good luck for the labour and birth – YOU’VE GOT THIS MAMA BEAR.
Spend and Save!
Stocking up for bubs is an expensive exercise. Save 25% on your hospital bag essentials when you buy any 6x Layers and 2x Cocoon Swaddle Bags! Use code HOSPITAL BAG at checkout to get your discount. Excludes packs and bundles.
Summary Sleepwear Packing List for Hospital Bag (for 5-day hospital stay)
- 6x Long Sleeve Layers in 0.2 TOG, size newborn or 0-3months (shop here)
- 2 - 3 Cocoon Swaddle Bags in 1.0TOG, size newborn or 0-3 months (shop here)
- 1x Matchy Matchy Robe for the Mama (shop here)
- 2x additional Layers
- 1x additional Cocoon Swaddle Bag
Optional Additional Sleepwear Items:
- Plain, cotton singlets (with or without crotch studs)
- Organic cotton pyjamas for mum. We love these brands:
- Sorella Organics