Essential Sleeping Items for a Newborn
Your home with your new angel, congratulations to the family. Once you have settled into your new roles as parents, expect the following questions to be asked about sleep.
- Is the baby sleeping?
- How well do they nap during the day?
- Are they sleeping through the night?
- Are you getting any sleep?
If you’re a new parent, sleep or lack thereof is the number one conversation opener. While, unfortunately, it’s not possible to request a baby who sleeps through the night, nor can we guarantee your angel will sleep for 12 hours straight. We can help you invest in some essential sleepwear and accessories, that will keep baby comfortable, cosy and content.
Our Cocoon Swaddle Bags have been designed to make your life and babies lot smoother, gone are the days where you have to wrap your child in a complicated muslin wrap, with half an eye open at 3 am. The Cocoon Swaddle Bag has been designed to contain startle reflux while keeping baby snug, secure, comforted and warm. Best for newborns who are being swaddled and arms out (rollers) to age 12 months. Follow these guidelines to ensure a safe sleep.
1. Make sure the Cocoon Swaddle is not too tight, it should allow for easy breathing. Swaddles should allow for full and uninhibited chest expansion. Those little ribs are still very soft and bendy, an overly enthusiastic wrap has the potential to be too firm across the chest. The stretch throughout the body allows for a little bit of movement around the shoulders, enabling healthy development.
2. Are their little legs folded out like a frog? The hips need to be able to flop outwards while the baby sleeps. There is evidence that late-onset developmental dysplasia of the hip (DDH) is increasing in Australia. DDH is when the hip is either dislocated or prone to dislocation. Tight swaddles and wraps across the hips that hold the legs together are thought to contribute to this increase in DDH.
3. Is baby hot? Babies don’t regulate their body heat very well and rely on their coverings to keep them warm but not hot. There is a fine balance, so if you choose to Cocoon Swaddle be sure to not overdress your baby. You can always follow our handy what to wear guide.
4. Is there anything on baby's face? Never cover a baby’s head at sleep time, for example with a hat or beanie, has been associated with overheating.
5. Place their little arms over their chest and zip up the cocoon swaddle. As a bonus, each of our Cocoon Swaddles are 2 IN 1. Meaning they convert from a swaddle to a sleeping bag by opening the poppers in the armholes once your baby is able to roll onto their tummy.
Some babies may have difficulty sleeping in a room that has light in it, whether during day time naps, or early morning light creeping in the curtains. Our Window Blockout is the perfect answer for babies and toddlers who need total darkness in their room to sleep. The black side of the blind blocks light and the white side reflects light from windows to help regulate the temperature of the room for a more pleasant sleep. Blocking out the light during naps can help to:
Remove visual distraction
From 6 weeks old, your baby will become more social, and begin to find shapes and movement interesting. For perceptive and alert children, sleeping in a room with lots of things too look at may deter them from sleeping. Blocking out light can remove these visual distractions.
The wonderful sleep-regulating hormone melatonin is suppressed by light. Research has shown young ‘childrens eyes let more light in, and are more sensitive to light exposure than adults. Bright lights present around sleep times can be detrimental to helping your child’s body develop a melatonin-secretion rhythm i.e. a ‘body clock’.
Regulate a ‘body clock’
A ‘body clock’ is important in giving the body signals for when it is time to sleep. For babies who have come out of a constantly-dark womb, research shows we can help them develop their body clock by exposing them to light and dark environments at the appropriate awake/sleep intervals.
What does the Window Blockout do?
- Blocks 100% of sunlight
- Black on the inside (room side) and white on the outside
- Easy to apply
- Wipe clean for reuse
- Suitable for single or double-glazed windows
- Easily cut to window size
- Multiple use adhesive, without residue
- Simply roll up or fold for storage
- Ideal for travel
- Non-toxic, made from PET+aluminium foil+pearlized film
Sometimes day naps equate to being changed to the house, this can become exhausting for you and cause a little thing called ‘cabin fever’. When you feel ready and keen to enter the big wide world for more than a walk, you need something that is easy to carry plus, comfortable for baby to sleep in. Introducing the foldable carry bed, your must-have travel item. Think, ease of use, compact, lightweight and breathable. Take your babe out to lunch and never miss a nap. Head to the beach and watch your mini snooze as the waves roll in.
We recommended the foldable carry bed to be used from birth to no more than six months old. It is suitable for supervised napping and lounging. We love that it can be elevated to reduce discomfort and reflux. A definite napping essential.
Layers are an essential staple in any newborns sleeping wardrobe. Think of them like your little white t-shirt, you need plenty and plenty isn’t enough. Our limited, edition on-trend printed Layers are designed for sleep and day. Each ergoPouch Layer is TOG rated taking the guesswork out of sleep. Designed to be worn on their own, or underneath our famous Cocoon Swaddle Bags, award-winning Sleepsuits or Sleeping Bag.
The season and room temperature are going to dictate exactly what layers to dress your baby in for sleep. During summer, we recommend a lightweight 0.2 TOG Short Sleeve Layer under a 0.2 TOG Cocoon Swaddle Bag. However, if your newborn wants to feel extra snug, you can settle your baby in a Long Sleeve 0.2 TOG. Each layer is made from a beautifully soft, organic jersey fabric, making them breathable and comfortable.
When the cooler months come around it's sufficient to put your baby in a Long Sleeve 1.0 TOG style and place a 2.5 TOG Cocoon Swaddle Bag on top. This will ensure your baby comfortable and won't overheat, when you use our Layers and Cocoon Swaddle Bags you don’t need to use any blankets. To confirm that your baby isn’t too hot, make sure, he/she isn’t sweating or has a flushed face. If so, remove a layer. Don’t worry if your baby’s hands or feet feel cool, this is normal. Baby’s chest should feel warm. Don’t over complicate layers and blankets during winter.
Babies control their temperature mainly through their head. The best way to stop them overheating is to place them on their back with the head and face uncovered. You can always follow our 'What To Wear Guide' for more guidance and insight. The team at ergoPouch recommends Layers not just for newborns but up to 3 years old.
If you haven’t heard of a comforter, you will be introduced to one very quickly. Around 6 or 7 months of age, your baby will go through an important cognitive development milestone, during which they will realise they are no longer attached to you. This is the start of a wonderful journey for your child in learning their world, building confidence and developing their sense of individuality and identity. But with this developmental milestone can bring separation anxiety, leading to unsettled sleeping and sometimes sleep regression. You may notice your baby is fussy going down and don’t like you leaving their room, needs you to help them fall asleep, and cannot get through sleep cycles on their own. Introducing a comforter at this time can help your baby feel safe, secure and reminded of you. A safe-sleep comforter can be used from 7 months as a transition tool for helping your baby get to sleep*, and as an accompaniment for sleep in the cot from 12 months**.
Why we LOVE Joey
Many, many parents have been through the horror of losing their child’s comforter when on an outing or leaving it at day-care! No more tears, tantrums or buying multiple versions of your comforter as a ‘back up’, we’ve solved the problem.
Joey the trackable comforter, contains a child safe trackable device that can be paired with your smartphone, so you will never lose track of your little one’s most treasured companion. The low-energy Bluetooth device is 100% safe for your little one, having passed all appropriate safety tests, and secured behind a childproof zip. The device can be removed for easy washing after a day of outdoor adventures or exuberant meal times!
Joey is made from 100% Bamboo and Organic Cotton, for a breathable, super soft and snuggly companion. This adorable little Joey will quickly find a place in your child’s heart.
- A White Noise Machine.
- A Music Player.
- Night Light.
- A Bed Time Story.
- Essential oil machines.
- Wine time for Mumma once they are down.
We want to help you gather some essentials for your new baby, by giving you a secret discount to get started. Save 25% on your hospital bag essentials when you buy any 6x Layers and 2x Cocoon Swaddle Bags! Use code HOSPITALBAG at checkout to get your discount. Excludes packs and bundles.
With Love eP x